Total Pageviews

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

V-22 Osprey & Flying on Tuesday

 What a great day to go flying today, plus an unexpected treat of seeing a V-22.

After waiting a few days for my schedule and the weather to cooperate, I got out to the field around 1:00PM.  Across the way I spotted a Boeing V-22 Osprey and it commenced starting making a near vertical liftoff!
V-22 Liftoff
Coming in from the west for a landing
It was a great thrill to see it make repeated takeoffs and landings.

I brought out my recently refurbished Tower Uproar 40 that I bought from Cloyce a few meetings ago. It was time to give it a test flight. I put on a MDS 46 that I've had for almost a dozen years and I've had mixed results with. But it seems to be running more reliably now since I re-tuned it and added a "hot" glow plug. I also added an Assan 2.4 Ghz receiver which I can control from my Hitec transmitter.
All ready to go, Uproar 40
The MDS died on the first takeoff and ended up in the weeds at the east end of the runway. No damage done so I restarted the engine and got in a good 6 minute flight which I followed with another 6 1/2 minute flight. On the third flight I was trying touch-and-go landings when I pancaked it in, bent the landing gear and broke the prop.  When I got it back to the shop it took just a couple of minutes to bend the l.g. wire back in shape and add a new prop. 

The MDS 46 is more power than needed and I have some 36 size engines that I may try on it. I like the way it handles and the convenience of having a plane that fits in my little Chevy Aveo without having to take the wing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment